Sunday, April 24, 2011

And So Farewell

Treasured soil brimming with the fruits of a lifetime of cultivation
Cancerous and taxing beneath my canvas-clad feet
Pregnant and beautiful beneath my recumbent back
Embracing and letting go of windswept words
Go west young man
Well
Come find me bathing in caffeinated spirituality
Wrapped tight in a blanket on the hardwood floor
Come find me hanging from the rafters of what I should have been
Pretending in faith to walk a solid platform
Jamming my fingers in doorways that never were open
Don’t forget me I’ll say
Come find me bereft of misconceptions
Olden hind-sights
Headlights
Sharing the cup of fortune with blank notebook visages
And floating about on the breath of perpetual winter
The displaced sentry-style witness of less and more
Silent and calculating under fossilized irises
Peering over ramparts of spiffy words spat rapid-fire into the night air
Shaking the trunk of leafless trees
Wasting away splayed out on the terrace
I will remember shame
And inhale shame
And exhale shame
And fall head over conscience down waterfalls of human creation
Down the rabbit hole
Downtown
The hours are counting me down
It’ll be a desert of a different color and beautiful as such
And frightening
Soon enough their hair will whiten
Your face will sharpen
My edge will dull out
And our voices will fade from our throats into ambiguity
Into the depths
In time
Days and nights spent steeping in reverie
My head will spin concentric circles around my ears
Around my eyes
I’ll melt
And so will this town
Indefinitely

Asleep I am aware of the most colorful tortures
Waking up I let the sand slip through my fingers
In consciousness I know not what stories tomorrow’s tomorrow will spill
And so farewell

No comments: